Small Business Saturday
What is all the hype with small business Saturday?
Does it really matter if I shop local?
I asked myself this question and the nerd in me loves a good statistic, so I searched the stats on Small Business Saturday, and here are a few interesting stats:
- 100$ spent in a small business means 86$ of that goes directly back into your community.
- There are 27 million small businesses in the United States.
- There were 353,000 tweets about Small business Saturday.
- Consumers spent 5.7 billion dollars during small business Saturday last year.
- 3.4 million Facebook users hit the like button on the official Small Business Saturday Facebook Page.
I am a small business owner and have been most of my adult life. If it weren’t for my community, I never would have survived for 25 years and counting. This movement has made me much more aware of how much the small businesses of our communities are the backbone of our small towns. These small businesses fill our downtown store fronts and they support our schools and community more than we know. I have made a conscious effort to purchase a majority of my Christmas gifts from my small business community. I encourage anyone who values the “American Dream” to do the same.
Let’s make Local the new Black!
Thank you for this movement called Small Business Saturday.